dart frogs

DartFrogz.com is an international community, welcoming US, Canadian and European hobbyists DartFrogz.com is an international community, welcoming US, Canadian and European hobbyists DartFrogz.com is an international community, welcoming US, Canadian and European hobbyists

Sponsor

Unread 09-11-2009, 09:27 PM

Male
Default Culturing spring tails :)

Spring tail culturing tutorial

Hi there this is my first attempt at culturing spring tails. As a beginner in culturing Spring Tails I would deeply appreciate some incite where I may go wrong or right with the spring tail culturing.

The first photo shows the main bulk of the supplies which arrived in mail today from canadianfeeders.com. Finally they arrived .

my Spring tail cultures seem all right.

ingredients and supplies include are:

1.) Spring tail food (a green powder)

2.) Sterilized soil (the medium)

3.) Cardboard in which the spring tails can deposit their eggs I guess (this came with the package).

other materials I will be using spring water for a pure water source.

The second photo shows the preparation of the spring tail culture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1. Spring tail culturing.jpg.jpg (39.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 2. Sterylized soil, preparing culture.jpg.JPG (84.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 3. Measuring the medium.jpg.JPG (79.9 KB, 8 views)
2 M/F D. azureus (pair)
2 F/F D. azureus (pair)

Last edited by GraemeG; 09-12-2009 at 01:53 AM.
Unread 09-12-2009, 01:52 AM

Male

To begin measuring the spring tail media, a measuring cup is rather handy, "obvious" .

1.) Measure the sterile soil

2.) Then poor the sterile soil into the container.

3.) Then poor the spring water, reverse osmosis or filtered water into the mix I used about a 3/4th cup medium to 3/4 cup of water. I did add a bit more sterile soil to "odd out" the ratio.

4.) Then grab the green food starter and mix the starter throughly with the sterilized soil medium.

5.) Since this is my first spring tail culture attempt it should look like something in the fourth photo to the left.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4. The medium measured.jpg.JPG (59.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 5. Medium in container.jpg.JPG (92.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 6. The SP food.jpg.JPG (73.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 7. The food in medium.jpg.JPG (94.2 KB, 5 views)
2 M/F D. azureus (pair)
2 F/F D. azureus (pair)

Last edited by GraemeG; 09-12-2009 at 02:29 AM.
Unread 09-12-2009, 03:31 AM

Male

Inoculating the starter culture.

1.) Poor the mixed medium in a porcelain tea-cup and have it microwaved for .2 seconds, this sterilizes the medium prior to inoculating the medium with the live spring tails.

2.) Note [Important]: Allow the medium to cool down after it has been microwaved. If you expose the live culture of spring tails to early they wont survive. Make sure to have no other containments near by when inoculating the media. Till the culture is cooled off then check the temperature. After its cooled off then you can inoculate the medium.

3.) After inoculating the medium with the live culture; the lid requires no perforation unlike your fruit fly medium. The trick is to maintain a desired humidity.

3.) You should periodically check the cultured medium now and them mold is a real pest in this sort of thing.

The Facts:

The species of spring tail I'm culturing are (Collembola). The collembola are a part of the crustacean family of the animal kingdom. They are white or opaque in appearance and they prefer living in moist environments.

The desired temperature range to keep the spring tails is at around 19 to 20 degree's Cecilius or in Fahrenheit 66.2 F to 71.6 F.

PS: If you see the white little dots in the last photo they are the spring tails .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9. Inoculated medium.jpg.jpg (58.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 10. Packedge medium.jpg.JPG (94.6 KB, 5 views)
2 M/F D. azureus (pair)
2 F/F D. azureus (pair)
Unread 11-07-2009, 04:41 PM

Frog Management System - FMS
Male

Wow, you went all out with preparing! I just throw in coco fiber, charcoal, whatever else is handy. Get it nice and moist and throw some leaf litter on top. Dump in the springtails and feed them whatever I have laying around also. Fish food, yeast, mushrooms and veggies etc.

How has this been producing for you?
Unread 11-17-2009, 06:32 PM

Can I just buy a springtail culture and put in my viv? will they reproduce in there for me or is this something that I need to do often?

Unread 11-17-2009, 11:13 PM

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by winyfrog View Post
Can I just buy a springtail culture and put in my viv? will they reproduce in there for me or is this something that I need to do often?
That works just fine.
Unread 11-18-2009, 12:28 AM

Female

Yes will culture in the viv, but if you put the frogs in before they start to take off the frogs will eat them.
I use charcoal, not the square kind but lump all natural charcoal. Put the charcoal in fill the container with about an inch of spring or RO water (put your culture in) and feed with mushrooms, yeast etc. Then you can turkey baster them into a tank or shake them off of the charcoal into the tank.
-Beth
Unread 11-18-2009, 01:29 PM

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by winyfrog View Post
This works if you have enough refuge for them to reproduce without being hunted to extinction. Sphagnum and leaf litter work well for this. It's best to add them to the tank a while before frogs so they can increase their population, but if you cannot do that add them at night to give them some sort of chance to disperse.

It's always nice to have a culture on the side to add some new ones if you see them getting low or if you just want to dump them in and watch the frogs gobble them up.
Unread 11-18-2009, 05:41 PM

How long is a while? This shouldn't be a problem for me as I don't have my frogs yet.

As far as leaf litter goes should I just collect leaves from my backyard?

Unread 11-18-2009, 06:55 PM

Female

I would not use the leaf litter from your yard unless you are positive there has been no fertilizer on it. I have a next door neighbor (both are Dr.'s) and they do not nor will ever use chemicals on any plants or their grass. They have a magnolia tree and an oak tree, so I pick up those leaves from their front yard. I then boil them for 5 minutes to sterilize them, everyone has different ways of sterilizing their leaf litter.
-Beth